Saturday, February 27, 2010

Dry Season and Other Things

Over the past few months, I've heard a lot from people back in CA about the rain that they're having. It seems that wherever I go though, drought follows. We're in the midst of the dry season, which is especially harsh this year due to El Nino. The only fresh water here comes from rain water, so as you can guess, lack of rain means lack of potable water. Right now, our million gallon tank (which we got filled to over 600,000 in November) is under 400,000. Sounds like a lot, right? Well, this tank is shared with the village (it was a gift from Chuuk govt to Sapuk, which we have been invited to also share in), plus about 90 boys, cooking, cleaning, and showering. Our goal is 30,000 a week, or less. This isn't meant to sound depressing, just factual due to the current weather patterns so that you all back home may join me in the realization that what is going on in the States (even with weather!) can effect the lives of people living on a tiny island in the middle of the Pacific.

This Lent, I'm trying to eat more fish. I've been remotely succeeding in this.
My tongue has decided that my favorite local foods are: unripe mangos, Chuukese apples, and tapioca with coconut milk (although I can never eat much of it, but it tastes so good!).

And now, some pictures from Cultural Day:
Yapese Stick Dance

Pohnpeian Stick Dance

Pohnpeian Sakau


Palauan girls starting their dance

No comments:

Post a Comment